can ex quit job to get more child support

can ex quit job to get more child support

Can Ex Quit Job to Get More Child Support?

As a divorced co-parent, you are likely familiar with your need to provide financially for your children. But did you know that you may have the option to quit your job in order to get more child support?

What You Need to Know

When filing for child support, courts often consider the parent’s income, assets, and other factors. This can lead to discrepancies in the amount of support one is able to receive.

Quitting Your Job May Increase Child Support

In certain circumstances, it is possible to quit your job and get more child support. However, this solution is not without risks. If your ex has evidence that you have chosen to quit your job in order to increase the amount of support they are expected to pay, they may take legal action to reduce or terminate the amount of child support they must pay.

It is important to make sure that quitting your job is the right decision for you and your family. Additionally, it is best to speak with an attorney or financial expert who can provide information on how ending your employment could affect your financial situation.

Alternatives to Quitting Your Job

If quitting your job is not a viable option for you, there are still other solutions for increasing the amount of support you receive. Here are some alternatives you could consider:

  • Negotiating a Higher Amount: Depending on your situation and the circumstances of your divorce, your ex may be willing to adjust the amount of support they are expected to pay. If you are interested in this option, make sure to speak with an attorney first to ensure that your rights are protected.
  • Seeking Supplemental Income: You may also be able to supplement your existing income by taking on other forms of employment or starting your own business. This can provide you with additional resources to provide for your family without the risk of reducing your support.
  • Exploring Government Assistance: Government assistance programs may be available in certain circumstances. Speak to someone at your local government office to find out if there are any programs you may qualify for.

Bottom Line

In some cases, it may be possible to get more child support by quitting your job. However, this option should be considered carefully, as it may have adverse effects on your financial standing. Before quitting your job, speak with a financial expert and consult an attorney to make sure you are making the best decision for you and your family.


Scroll to Top