can i sue my job for overworking me

can i sue my job for overworking me

Can I Sue My Work for Overworking Me?

It is not uncommon for many workers to find themselves in a situation where they are being overworked and underpaid. With the current state of the economy, job security has become more important than ever. So it begs the question, can a worker sue their employer for overworking them? The answer is yes, but it depends on the circumstances and what state you live in.

Know Your Rights

It is important to be informed of your rights as an employee. Each state has their own set of labor laws, and they may dictate the parameters surrounding overworking a worker. Before deciding to move forward with a claim against your employer, make sure to read through your state laws and understand the rights you have as an employee.

Document Everything

Your employer may have the upper hand in the situation if you’re not prepared. Documents and evidence can be your saving grace should the situation come to a legal battle. Be sure to keep track of any emails, phone calls, or other communications that could be used as evidence of overworking you. Keeping detailed logs of your hours worked, dates, and times can also be very helpful.

Evaluate the Situation

Once you understand your rights, gather your evidence, and familiarize yourself with the laws, you can evaluate the situation more thoroughly. In some cases, the employer may be acting within the legal boundaries and could not be held responsible for their actions.

In other cases, due to the intensity of the overworking, an employer could be held liable. It may be difficult to make that determination yourself, so it may be best to consult an experienced employment lawyer.

Take Action

If after consulting a lawyer, it is determined that your employer has wrongfully overworked you, then you may have grounds to take action. Depending on the situation, you may be able to obtain compensation or reinstatement of the job.

The following are some of the actions you may be able to take:

  • File a claim with the U.S. Department of Labor: This may result in an investigation and could lead to an order to pay damages for any violations.
  • File a lawsuit: If you have been terminated, you may be able to file a lawsuit seeking damages.
  • File a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: This may lead to an investigation and enforcement action.

No one should be subject to overworking, especially without proper compensation. If you are currently in a situation in which you are being overworked, it is important to understand your rights and take the necessary steps to protect yourself.


Overworking and underpaying workers is illegal in many places. If you are a worker in such a situation, you may have legal recourse against your employer. Be sure to document everything, understand your rights and the law, and consult an experienced employment lawyer if necessary. Taking the proper steps can ensure that you are protected and able to seek justice against an unjust employer.


Scroll to Top