can my job fire me for quarantining

can my job fire me for quarantining

Can My Job Fire Me for Quarantining?

The coronavirus pandemic has shaken up the labor market. Quarantining and self-isolating could prevent the spread of the virus, but it could lead to potential employment consequences, as well. Depending on which country or state you live in, it could be possible to be fired due to mandatory or voluntary quarantining.

Can I be Fired for Quarantining?

The answer to this question depends on the laws of your country or state. Generally speaking, in most countries, an employer cannot terminate you for something that you cannot avoid.

The United States

In the United States, the regulations on firing due to quarantining vary from state to state. For example, in some states such as California, it is illegal to terminate an employee if they are quarantining due to a medical emergency. However, in other states such as New York, there is no such law, which means it could be legal for an employer to fire an employee for quarantining.

Other Countries

In countries other than the United States, the laws are likely even more varied. It is important to do research and know the laws in your country or state, as they can differ.

What Should I Do if I Get Fired for Quarantining?

If you find yourself in the situation of being fired for quarantining, there are a few steps you can take:

  • Contact a lawyer who is specialized in employment law and seek legal advice
  • File a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
  • Contact your state’s labor department and inquire about filing a complaint

It is important to remember that you should do research before taking any action, as various countries and states have different laws.

Final Thoughts

Quarantining and self-isolating are essential methods of staying safe during the ongoing pandemic. However, depending on the laws of your country and state, it may be possible to be fired due to quarantining. If you find yourself in that situation, you should seek legal advice and consider filing a complaint with the appropriate authority.


Scroll to Top