Crossword Clue “Con Jobs”
Most avid crossword enthusiasts have experienced stumping on the cryptic and hard-to solve clues. One of the most common challenges, however, is the clue with the answer “con jobs.” What does this mean exactly?
What is a “con job”?
A “con job” is slang for a type of deception or scam. The term “con job” derives from a longer phrase, ” confidence job” which refers to a confidence trick or swindle. A confidence trick is an attempt by a scammer to deceive or cheat someone out of their money or property.
Common Examples of Con Jobs
- Ponzi Schemes – This type of scheme involves paying existing investors with money obtained from new investors.
- Pyramid Schemes – A pyramid scheme is an illegal act in which fraudsters promise investors high returns based on recruiting others into the scheme.
- Money Laundering – Money laundering is the process of concealing the source of illegally acquired money.
- Advance-fee Scams – This type of scam involves the promise of a large sum of money in exchange for sending money upfront.
Spotting and Avoiding Con Jobs
One of the most important skills for avoiding a con job is the ability to spot the red flags. Some common signs of a con job include:
- Promises of high returns for little to no effort
- Pressure to make an immediate financial decision
- Asking for sensitive personal information
- Requests to send money upfront
It is also important to research any potential investments and ask questions before committing to a decision. Looking out for the red flags and conducting due diligence can help to protect against con jobs.