What is Don Nursing?
Don nursing is a sub-specialty of nursing wherein a nurse provides direct care to patients with varying needs and complex medical problems. Don nurses are registered nurses (RNs) who possess advanced nursing knowledge and experience in identifying and addressing patient needs.
What Does a Don Nurse Do?
Don nurses typically take on varied roles within their job description. They:
- Evaluate and assess patient needs. This includes developing a plan of care for each individual patient, as well as delivering ongoing care.
- Formulate symptom management strategies. Don nurses work with patients and their families to create strategies that can help manage symptoms effectively.
- Counsel and support patients. Don nurses advocate for their patients, providing emotional support and guidance when needed.
- Coordinate care between patients, families and other healthcare professionals. Don nurses often act as the point of contact between patients, their families and other healthcare professionals.
- Manage medications, treatments and procedures. Don nurses are responsible for administering medications, treatments and procedures as prescribed by physicians.
What Skills Do You Need to Become a Don Nurse?
Don nursing is a highly specialized field, so it’s important that nurses possess certain skills in order to provide expert care. These include:
- Excellent communication skills. Don nurses must be able to effectively communicate with patients, their families and other healthcare professionals.
- Excellent critical thinking skills. Critical thinking is an essential skill for don nurses as they often need to assess patient needs and make decisions quickly and effectively.
- Compassion and empathy. Don nurses must be able to provide patients with emotional support as well as physical care.
- Organizational and time-management skills. Don nurses need to be organized and able to manage their time effectively in order to efficiently care for their patients.
Don nursing is a rewarding and challenging role that requires specialized knowledge, training and experience. If you possess the skills and qualities mentioned above, it can be an excellent career choice for you.