Bidding a Roofing Job
Considering a roofing job? Here is what you need to know when you are bidding the job:
Research the Job
- Research the area and type of roof needed to determine necessary materials and installation techniques.
- Identify any permits or other documents required for local installation.
- Request any applicable drawings for the property.
Calculate Estimates & Costs
- Estimate roof tear-off and removal costs.
- Calculate materials and labor estimates.
- Include additional costs such as for clean-up, disposal of old materials, inspections, warranties and so on.
Review Insurance & Safety Requirements
- Verify that the contractor or subcontractors are properly insured to perform the job.
- Give special attention to review safety policies and requirements for workers.
Review Job Specification
- Review documents carefully to make sure all angle, pitch, egress points and other specifications are accurate.
- Estimate a timeline depending on weather and other onsite factors.
Submit Bids & Negotiate Price
- Submit bids to the customer along with a copy of all estimates, bids, and other relevant documents.
- Negotiate price and terms with customers.
- Make sure you provide customers with a clear, written explanation of each phase of the job.
No matter what size roof you’re bidding on, these seven steps will help you take the guesswork out of bidding a roofing job.