How Long Does Nose Job Recovery Take?
Undergoing a rhinoplasty surgery, more commonly referred to as a “nose job” or “nose reshaping,” is a life-changing decision and typically results in a dramatic transformation in both the physical appearance and nasal functionality. To ensure successful and safe results, it’s essential that patients follow the recommended recovery period.
Understanding the Recovery Process
Undergoing a nose job is a surgery that requires a recovery period ranging from two weeks to two months. It is essential that a patient follow the timeframe recommended by the surgeon to ensure successful results and reduced risks of any potential complications.
The Length of Recovery Varies
The amount of time it will take to recover from a nose job can vary greatly from patient to patient and usually depends on the extent of the surgery. For example, a simple rhinoplasty procedure will often have a shorter recovery period as compared to a more complex revision rhinoplasty.
Recovering at Home
When it comes to the post-op period at home, here are some things for the patient to keep in mind:
- Most patients will experience some degree of swelling, bruising, and general discomfort in the first few days.
- Patients will be advised to wear a nasal splint for 3-14 days after surgery.
- An antibiotic ointment is usually prescribed to reduce the risk of infection
- Pain medication may be prescribed to help manage any discomfort, although pain levels are usually quite minimal.
- Patients will also be asked to sleep in an upright position for the first few days and to AVOID strenuous activities.
- It is also important to avoid getting the nose wet for the first two weeks, so the patient should avoid swimming, Jacuzzis, and saunas.
Results May Vary
It’s important to note that recovery is an on-going process for some patients, as the results of rhinoplasty can continue to improve for up to a year post-surgery as swelling and tissue healing continues. Significant changes should be visible by 3 months, however, and nasal breathing should improve greatly.
Overall, recovery from a nose job typically takes 2-4 weeks, although it is important that patients follow their surgeon’s instructions to ensure successful results.