How Many Jobs are Available in Meat/Poultry/Fish Industry?
The meat, poultry, and fish industry is a growing sector that employs thousands of people in a variety of roles. As the demand for fresh, locally-sourced food continues to rise, so too, does the need for workers to help meet this demand.
Types of Jobs Available
The meat, poultry, and fish industry offers a wide range of opportunities and includes positions in the following sectors:
- Production and Manufacturing – Workers in these roles are responsible for the manufacturing, processing, and packaging of meat, poultry, and fish products.
- Retail and Distribution – Retailers of meat, poultry, and fish products employ workers with knowledge of the industry, along with sales and customer service skills.
- Transportation and Logistics – Skilled workers are required to ship and deliver products to stores, restaurants, and other businesses.
- Inspection and Quality Control – Quality assurance specialists measure, test, and inspect products to ensure they meet specified standards.
- Research and Development – Professionals in this sector develop new products and processes, as well as improve existing products and processes.
Pay and Benefits
Pay in the meat, poultry, and fish industry is typically higher than in other sectors, and benefits can depend on the company or organization. Vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, profit-sharing, and 401K programs are common benefits for workers in this industry.
The meat, poultry, and fish industry offers a variety of jobs with good pay and benefits. People with a range of skills and interests can find employment in production, retail, distribution, transportation and logistics, inspection, quality control, and research and development roles.