Asking For A Job: A Step-by-Step Guide
The job market is competitive and it’s not always easy to make connections with employers. Taking initiative to call in and ask for a job is a great way to show off your communication skills and make a good impression. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to call and ask for a job.
Preparing for the Call
- Do your research: Before calling, make sure you are familiar with the company and the type of work they specialize in. Be careful to not make assumptions about their producst/services – it’s best to visit their website and get an understanding of the business.
- Set a goal: Before picking up the phone make sure to set a goal for the call. Do you want to schedule an interview or just make a connection?
- Be prepared to answer questions: Have a few talking points ready that highlight your skills and past work experience. You want to be able to explain why you think you would be a great fit for the job.
Making the Call
- Reach out to the right person: Make sure you know who you’re trying to contact and how you found the contact information.
- Introduce yourself: Start the conversation with a brief introduction of yourself. Explain that you’re interested in working for the company and let them know how you found their number.
- Be confident: Show off your communication skills by sounding professional and articulate. Speak clearly, remain composed, and keep the call relatively short.
- Follow up: After you’ve make the call, be sure to follow up with an email to show your appreciation for their time.
Asking for a job can feel daunting, but following these easy steps will make sure you’re well-prepared for the conversation. Doing your research, setting a goal, and introducing yourself confidently will make sure your call goes well and allows you to leave a lasting impression.