Getting a Job at Jane Street
Landing a job at Jane Street, the elite New York-based global trading firm, is often a dream of many in the finance world. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get a foot in the door, but with the right preparation and approach, you too can make a successful application.
1. Build Your Qualifications
- Focus on achieving good grades in university through in-depth coursework and consistent participation in class.
- Increase your programming skills by continuing to learn new languages and technologies.
- Become well-versed in algorithms, data structure and possible financial applications.
- Gain any applicable experience such as internships or other associated roles.
2. Make Good Use of Your Network
- Talk to friends, colleagues and former classmates about any contacts they may have at Jane Street.
- Research whether you can attend any of the events Jane Street is involved with and use it as an opportunity to network.
- Check if your university has a partnership with Jane Street and whether the company is participating in any recruiting events.
- Show interest in Jane Street by inquiring and conveying a positive attitude.
3. Apply for a Job
- Register and create an account on Jane Street’s job portal.
- Take the online admission test.
- If you pass the test, submit an impressive resume and cover letter showcasing your qualifications and suitability for the role.
- If selected, you will be invited to an onsite interview.
4. Perform Well During the Interview
- Come to the interview well-prepared, with a complete understanding of who Jane Street is and the expectations of the role.
- Be confident but not arrogant. Aim to appear humble and show your enthusiasm.
- Be prepared to answer technical and behavioural questions with skill and professionalism.
- Ask questions if you have any and thank your interviewer for the opportunity.
With the right qualifications and preparation, there’s no reason why you can’t get a job at Jane Street. Working there comes with huge rewards, both monetary and career-wise. Apply with confidence and you could be on the road to success whereas your career is concerned.