How to Get a Job Without Owning a Car
Getting a job can be difficult if you don’t own your own car. Finding reliable transportation can be a major obstacle to finding and keeping a steady job. Fortunately, there are several ways to get a job and keep it without relying on a car.
Public Transportation Options
When job hunting, look for businesses or job opportunities that are within close range of public transportation. Here are some public transportation options that can help:
- Subway or Train – Many cities have subways or trains that bring you close to your workplace.
- Bus – Depending on your city, there may be a bus network that serves your area. This can be a reliable way to get to and from work.
- Carpooling – You can find a carpooling group near you on websites like Zimride, or you may be able to coordinate carpooling with your coworkers.
- Taxi – If you’re short on time and need to get to a job fast, try taking a taxi to and from work.
Finding Jobs That Don’t Require Owning a Car
Look for job postings that don’t specifically require owning a car. Many jobs don’t require a car in the first place, such as telemarketer, teacher, accountant, virtual assistant, writer, customer service rep, barista, receptionist, admin assistant, and data entry clerk. Additionally, you may find available jobs that require you to use your own car, but don’t require you to actually own one.
If you don’t think public transportation is an option, there are other ways to find a job without a car.
- Friends or Family – Ask trusted family and friends if they know of any job opportunities for you. You can also ask for rides when needed.
- Bicycles – If you have access to a bike and the job is within cycling distance, this could be a great option.
- Zapier – The job search site allows you to search for telecommuting jobs that don’t require a car.
- Rideshare Apps – Use app-based on-demand ride sharing services such as Uber or Lyft to get to and from job interviews or work.
Getting a job without a car can feel like an impossible task. However, with the right resources and strategies, you can find a job and build a career without ever having to own a car.