How to get a Truck Driving Job with No Experience
Truck driving is an attractive career path for many people, and is an especially great option for those who have no experience. With the right mindset and preparation, you can get into a truck driving job with no prior experience.
Steps to Take
- Do research. Find out what truck driving companies are hiring in your area and make sure the jobs fit your needs. Most trucking companies require a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Check out local job postings online and research the training and requirements for a CDL license.
- Complete the required training. Take truck driving lessons at a trustworthy and reputable truck driving school. Make sure the school is accredited by the Professional Truck Driver Institute and is approved by the Department of Transportation.
- Apply to trucking companies. Look for trucking companies that accept drivers with no experience. Some will provide classes, internships, or even free training.
- Be willing to start on the ground level. Some trucking companies that don’t require previous experience offer jobs that can help you gain some. Some of these jobs include cargo handlers or dock workers and can help you build the skills and experience you need to eventually become a truck driver.
- Maintain a good driving record. You must have a clean driving record, free of speeding tickets and other moving violations, in order to apply for a CDL license. Keep this in mind as you practice your skills.
- Network. Make connections with trucking companies that hire drivers with no experience. Use social media, job fairs, and direct contact to reach out to recruiters and hiring managers.
Truck driving can help you build a rewarding career and provide security and independence. With the right amount of research and preparation, you can get a truck driving job with no experience. Good luck!