How to Get Pay Stubs From an Old Job
A pay stub is a document received by an employee that details the amount they were paid for a certain period of time. Pay stubs are important when filing taxes, applying for a loan, or making other financial decisions.
So what happens if you need to get a copy of an old pay stub? Fortunately, it’s usually possible to get copies of past pay stubs from employers, if you follow the right steps.
Steps to Get Old Pay Stubs
- Contact Your Previous Employer
Your first step should be to contact your previous employer, either in person, by phone or in writing. Depending on how long it has been since you left the job, the employer may be able to provide the documents immediately.
- Check With the State
In many states, employers are required to maintain records of employee wages for a certain amount of time. Contact the applicable agency in your state (often the Department of Labor, Employee Division) to check if they have any records of your past employment and pay.
- Look Into Your Old Tax Returns
Going through past tax submissions is a great way to find old pay stubs. Pay stubs can also be used to find tax statements and other important information about your previous job, like deductions and bonuses.
- Order a Wage Verification Report
In some cases, it might be necessary to order a wage verification report. This requires the permission of your former employer, but it’s a great way to get hard copies of your pay stubs.
- Keep a record of all communication with your former employers, such as emails or phone calls. This will help you if you need to take further action.
- It’s a good idea to keep copies of documents and pay stubs for your current job, in case you need them in the future.
- If your employer can’t provide copies of pay stubs, consider filing a dispute with the applicable agency.
In most cases, it’s relatively easy to get copies of old pay stubs from past employers. With the above tips, you’ll be able to quickly and easily get the documents you need.