Is Pharmacy Tech a Good Job?
Becoming a pharmacy technician offers many career opportunities, attractive salary and the chance to serve patients in the medical field. This line of work is growing due to an increased pharmacy demand, so there is plenty of stability. But is pharmacy tech a good job?
There are many advantages to a job as a pharmacy technician:
- Competitive Salary – The average salary for a pharmacy technician is higher than the median income in many states.
- Health Care Benefits – Many employers offer excellent health care benefits, such as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexibility – As a pharmacy technician, you have the flexibility to work in different settings, such as retail or hospital pharmacies.
- Opportunities to Advance – There are many opportunities for advancement in pharmacy tech careers such as becoming a pharmacy manager or supervisor.
Of course, there are some drawbacks to this line of work:
- Stress – Like any medical profession, being a pharmacy technician can be stressful. It’s your responsibility to make sure that patients get the correct medications in a timely manner.
- Strict Regulations – Pharmacy technicians must adhere to very specific laws and regulations. A wrong move could lead to serious consequences.
- Long Hours – Depending on the employer and pharmacy location, you may have to work long hours. Some pharmacies have 12 hour shifts or even overnight shifts.
Overall, pharmacy technician jobs offer a great salary and benefits, but they also come with a lot of responsibility. If you’re organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle stress, a job as a pharmacy technician could be a great career choice.