Is Welding a Good Job?
Welding is a great job for those who want to work with their hands and explore the art of fusing two pieces of metal together. Welders use the electricity, heat and pressure to join two pieces of metal to form a strong, long lasting bond. Although it is seen as a difficult and sometimes dangerous job, welding can be a rewarding career.
Reasons Welding is a Good One:
- Competitive Pay: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median average salary for Welders is around $42,490.The highest 10% of earners make over $66,150.
- Job Security: Since welding skills are in high demand, professionals who have been trained and certified in this field are not easily replaced. This means welders usually have an abundance of work opportunities and job security.
- Variety of Industries: From automotive, aerospace and defense to plumbing, pipe-fitting and more, welders are essential in many different industries. This means there is always plenty of opportunity to move into a new related industry or sector in the future.
- Travel Opportunities: Many welders are employed directly to work on specific projects. This may involve travel to different countries in order to complete the job. Experiencing different cultures, climates and ways of life can be very enjoyable.
Drawbacks to Welding
Although there are many good points to being a welder, there can also be some drawbacks.
- Health Risks: Welders are exposed to dangerous substances and can suffer from heat exhaustion, inhaling toxic fumes and skin irritation. It is important to properly equip yourself with personal protective equipment before starting a welding job.
- Physical Demands: Welding can be physically demanding as it involves lifting heavy equipment, standing for long periods of time and strenuous physical activity.
- Stressful Conditions: Due to the intense heat, noise and pressure generated when welding, it can be a very stressful job. This may cause physical discomfort or mental fatigue.
Overall, welding is a good job for those who are looking for a rewarding and secure career. As long as you are aware of the risks and have the stamina to handle the physical demands, it can be a great job. It pays well, provides job security and the opportunity to explore different industries and travel.