what happens if you lose job on ead

what happens if you lose job on ead

Losing a Job on EAD

The Employment Authorization Document (EAD) allows certain individuals with immigration status to work in the United States. But what happens if you lose your job while on an EAD?

Status Implications

Your EAD will be canceled when your job ends, and you may be required to leave the United States. Depending on your specific immigration status, you may not be able to apply for a new EAD. This could lead to deportation if you cannot return to your home country or transfer to another type of visa.

Reapply for a New EAD

If you are eligible to reapply for a new EAD, you will need to do so within a certain period of time. You must also provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself during the time that it takes for your new EAD to be processed.

Find a New Job

Finding a new job can be difficult while on an EAD, but it is not impossible. You can use your existing network or look for job listings online. You may also be able to switch to another visa status instead, such as an H-1B visa, which could enable you to stay in the United States while looking for new employment.

Seek Legal Advice

If you lose your job on an EAD, it is always advisable to seek legal help. An experienced immigration attorney can help you to determine the best course of action and ensure that you are not deported or otherwise affected by your lost job.

Here are some tips for dealing with losing a job on an EAD:

  • Understand the status implications of losing an EAD job.
  • Reapply for a new EAD if you are eligible.
  • Look for a new job or switch to a different visa status.
  • Seek help from an immigration lawyer.

Losing a job while on an EAD can be overwhelming and scary. But with the right help and guidance, you can navigate the situation and work towards finding a new job or change your visa status.


Scroll to Top