Jobs For 14 Year Olds in Kentucky
It can often be difficult to find employment when you are only 14 years old. In the state of Kentucky, there are certain jobs you may be able to find that allow you to start working at a young age:
Farm and Agricultural Labourer
Whilst the law states that a person must be at least 16 years old to work in agriculture in Kentucky, there are certain exceptions that allow 14 or 15 year olds to work on a farm. Such exceptions include tasks such as picking fruits and vegetables, gathering eggs, helping with crafts and/or light manual labour.
Whilst still relatively difficult for 14 year olds to find, telemarketing is becoming a popular job choice for young people in Kentucky. Many of these companies are based within shopping malls, shopping outlets, and supermarkets, making it easier for younger applicants as this type of environment is usually more familiar to them. Some of the company’s which have young applicants in Kentucky include:
- K-Tel – the largest telemarketer in the state with over 80% of its employees being 14 or 15 years old.
- Supermarkets – these often hire 14 year olds for tasks such as manning tills and assisting customers.
- Theatre Groups – many theatres around the state are willing to take on young actors and backstage staff.
For 14 year old’s wanting some work that involves helping people, child care is an ideal choice. 14 year olds can work as nannies in Kentucky looking after children of all ages. Such duties include taking children to and from school, helping with homework, transporting them to leisure activities and generally looking after them. It is worth noting that although 14 year olds can often work in child care, some companies may have a minimum age of 16.
There are some other miscellaneous options open to 14 year old’s in Kentucky, such as:
- Freelance Writer – Becoming a freelance writer can be a rewarding and flexible way for 14 year olds to make money.
- Community Centre Volunteer – There are many community centres around the state that are always looking for young people to volunteer and work in their programs.
- Dog Walking – Dog walking is an ideal job for 14 year olds as it allows you to work flexible hours and is ideal for animal lovers.
- Sports Coaching – There are many sports teams in Kentucky, who frequently look for young coaches to help mentor and manage teams.
Overall, it can be difficult for 14 year olds to find employment in Kentucky but there are various options available that can help them to make the most of their youth. From freelance writing, to dog walking and telemarketing, there are plenty of ways to use your skills and make some extra money.