What Jobs Hire At 14 in Ohio
As a 14-year old, finding a job can be difficult. In Ohio, there are still opportunities, though some limitations apply. Here’s an overview of what you need to know to start your job search.
Age Restrictions in the Workplace
In Ohio, individuals must be 18 years old or older to work for an employer in non-agricultural jobs. However, there are special exceptions for 14 and 15 year olds that allow them to take on certain types of youth employment.
Youth Employment Permitted in Ohio
At 14, individuals can find employment in:
- Retail stores – such as a grocery store, clothing store, etc.
- Amusement parks – such as a movie theater, concert venue, bowling alley, etc.
- Restaurants – working in the kitchen, as well as in customer service roles.
- Office work – filing, photocopying, data entry, etc.
Restrictions on Working Hours
In Ohio, 14 and 15 year olds are limited to the following hours and days to work:
- No more than 3 hours on a school day.
- No more than 8 hours per day when not in school.
- No more than 18 hours in a school week.
- No more than 40 hours in a non-school week.
- No later than 7 p.m. during the school year.
- No later than 9 p.m. during the summer vacation period.
Individuals must also keep in mind that certain types of jobs are off-limits, such as working with hazardous materials, operating explosives, and jobs that require the use of dangerous equipment.
Finding Jobs in Ohio
When it comes to finding a job, there are a few different resources available. Work permits are required for 14 and 15 year olds in Ohio, and can be obtained from the individual’s school. Once you have the necessary paperwork in place, you can start the search for a part-time job. There are number of online job search resources to help you find openings in Ohio. Additionally, networking with friends and family can provide leads on potential openings.
Finding a job at age 14 can be difficult, as there are a number of restrictions in place. However, by being aware of regulations and utilizing job search resources, you may be able to find an opportunity in Ohio.