Will a DUI Affect My Chances of Getting a Job?
Having a DUI on your record can make it difficult to get a job for a variety of reasons. The degree of difficulty will depend on the type of job you’re applying for, the severity of the crime, the amount of time that has passed since your conviction and even the employer’s policies. Depending on all these factors, it’s quite possible that a DUI charge may result in a denied job opportunity.
How a DUI Might Impact Your Job Search
There are several ways a DUI may possibly influence your job search. Here are some of them:
- Background Checks: An employer may choose to run a background check on you, which might reveal your DUI crime.
- Different Job Types: Some jobs may be more affected by a DUI than others. For example, law enforcement, education, insurance and the military may be less likely to hire someone with a DUI on their record.
- State Laws: You may find it difficult to be hired if the state you are applying in has specific laws that disqualify individuals convicted of DUI from certain jobs.
- Employer Preference: Employers may choose to disqualify you from consideration based on their own policies.
What Can You Do?
If you’ve been convicted of a DUI, there are still steps you can take to improve your chances of getting a job. Here are some tips:
- Be upfront and honest: It is much better to be honest and upfront about your conviction than to attempt to hide it.
- Explain the circumstances: Potential employers may be more lenient if you explain the circumstances that led to your conviction.
- Minimize its impact: If you can show that you’ve taken steps to minimize the impact of your DUI on your life, such as attending classes, counseling or participating in community/voluntary service, you may be able to further make your case.
- Stay positive: It’s important to remain upbeat and positive while talking with potential employers, even if you have to face questions about your DUI.
A DUI charge may affect your job prospects, but it doesn’t have to be career ending. By taking the right steps, you can still have a chance of finding a job, despite a DUI conviction.