will i lose my job if i get a dui

will i lose my job if i get a dui

Will I Lose My Job if I Get a DUI?

Getting a DUI can be a difficult and embarrassing experience, especially if you were arrested. But, depending on the type of job you have and the location of your arrest, it could also put your job at risk.

Consequences for Employment

  • Public Sector Employees: If you are a public sector employee, you may be legally considered to have violated your contract with the government or municipality. This could result in immediate suspension or termination.
  • Government Contractors: Government contractors can see their contracts terminated if they are convicted of a felony DUI. You may even be denied a security clearance on the basis of your conviction.
  • Field Professionals: Those who require a professional license or credentials to practice their profession could face suspension or revocation of their licenses, thus affecting their ability to keep their job.
  • Corporate Employees: Depending on the company’s policy, you run the risk of termination or suspension if you get a DUI. Additionally, if you’ve been driving a company vehicle, it can be considered a violation of company policy.

Employment Rights

It’s important to remember that you do have certain rights when it comes to your job.

Employers cannot discriminate against individuals that have a prior DUI conviction or have been arrested or charged with drunk driving. Additionally, they are prohibited from asking applicants about any involvement they’ve had with the criminal justice system.

Although not all states providing a legal right to employment, it’s useful to consult an attorney if you have any concerns or questions.


In summary, the answer to the question “Will I lose my job if I get a DUI?” is it depends. Whether or not you will lose your job depends on several factors, including the type of job you have, where you were arrested, and how your employer handles DUIs. It’s important to keep in mind your rights as an employee, and to consult an attorney if you have any concerns.


Scroll to Top